A workaholic is someone who is addicted to work, and has no life beyond it. To him, the rest of the world is just lazy. A workaholic detests people with a laid-back attitude. And that’s just one truth. Because we love working so much, that we can’t accept anyone loving it less!
But it barely ends there. Read on to see 12 other everyday struggles in the life of a workaholic.
1. Being late to office actually gives us knots in the stomach. Not figurative – real knots. Like the ones you get before exams.
The office guards often remind us about the time. We feel bad that the pantry boys have to stay up till late, because we crave coffee at really odd hours.
2. We keep thinking about that one email sitting in our inbox, judging us for not replying to it.
Which email? How could I not have seen it? Trust us, it’s the worst feeling ever.
3. We can deal with one weekly off, but it drives us nuts to figure out what to do on our second weekly off.
Weekends are all about emails, conference calls, and pending deadlines. If we get the time, we’ll go out for lunch with family and friends.
4. We don’t answer phone calls – of friends, parents, girlfriends…Prime Minister of India, Queen of England.
We are always caught up with something or the other. If we’re busy with a project that does not involve you, there’s no way we are going to revert. You’ll have to call us several times to reach us.
5. We have self-expectations that are often higher than the company’s expectations of us.
We judge ourselves a lot. And often we are let down too. We want to do everything efficiently and we want to do everything with perfection. Being lax is a big turn off. We are constantly trying to compete with ourselves and we hate it if we are not completely satisfied.
6. We self-evaluate, over-evaluate, hyper-analyse and everything else.
Mediocrity is not acceptable to us, especially from our end. If we are not pleased with our own work, then we will over work. The world could call us a nutcase, but so be it.
7. We dream about work and not in a showing-up-at-work-dressed-like-Rambo-with-two-hand-grenades way. We dream about common place things like email replies.
We hardly sleep before 2 AM. And even when we do, all we dream about is tomorrow’s meeting and signing some files.
8. We constantly think we’re undervalued.
We take on more than we can handle. We are addicted to our work and that’s the deal. Because we believe that no one can do this job better than us. Whether the boss appreciates this or not, doesn’t matter.
9. Our partners have given up on us.
They know any explanations to reduce work will fall on deaf ears. The reason we are with them is because they understand our addiction to work. They give us space and have learnt to be patient with us.
10. We try to make time for everything, but fail miserably.
And while we fail, we still try harder and harder.
11. We judge people who take vacations thrice a year, and feel guilty about a long weekend.
“Does she even work here?”
12. We lie to our partners about having to work on a weekend.
Every time someone gives us a lecture about balancing our lives, we diligently nod our head. Maybe someday, we’ll be successful at it. But till then loyalty to office and work remains priority number 1!
Do you have something to add to this list? Let us know in the comments below!