From winning a billion hearts to getting honorary degrees, the king of Bollywood or the baadshah as his fans lovingly call him, has perhaps done it all. Some may like his movies, some may not, but nobody can ever ignore the usual witty remarks and intelligent life advice that he dishes out to the youth of India and abroad.
Here are some gems from his speech at the University of Edinburgh which awarded him an honorary degree for his contribution to art and philanthropic activities as well as his global reach-
1. It’s okay to be confused. Confusion is the route to all the clarity in the world.
2. Madness (of the particularly nice/romantic kind) is an absolute prerequisite to a happy and successful life. Don’t ever treat your little insanities as if they are aberrations that ought to be hidden from the rest of the world. Acknowledge them and use them to define your own way of living the only life you have. All the most beautiful people in the world, the most creative, the ones who led revolutions, who discovered and invented things, did so because they embraced their own idiosyncrasies. There’s no such thing as “normal”. That’s just another word for lifeless.
3. Art is more important than the artist – have no attachment to your own art – it’s regressive, move on.
4. Being brave means being shit scared all the way to the party but getting there and doing the ‘Funky Chicken’ in front of all your teenage kid’s friends anyway. Don’t let your fears become boxes that enclose you. Open them out, feel them and turn them into the greatest courage you are capable of. I promise you, nothing will go wrong. But if you live by your fears, everything that can possibly go wrong will go wrong and you won’t even have done the ‘Funky Chicken’.
5. Don’t become a philosopher before you become rich.
6. Study hard. Work hard. Play harder. Don’t be bound by rules, don’t hurt anybody and never ever live somebody else’s dream.
7. Chak De India taught me that whatever it is that is pulling you back, it’s not going away unless you stand up and start forging your own path with all your might in the opposite direction. Stop whining and start moving.
8. If you aren’t charged up about doing something, if you don’t have what in Hindi we call the “Josh”, the fire in your belly for it, then don’t do it.
9. Hindi filmon ki tarah life mein bhi, anth mein sab kuch theek ho jaata hai. Aur agar na ho, toh woh anth nahi hai…picture abhi baaki hai mere doston.
10. Live now, live today. Don’t be bound by rules, live your own dream.
scoopwoop and youtube