If there is a bond that comes the closest to the man’s heart, it is his relationship with his sister. It is a bittersweet relationship that nothing else in this world can replace. Take a walk down the memory lane with us, as we remind you of 30 reasons why every brother loves his sister.
1. You may say the meanest things to her yourself, but dare anybody else even raise a voice against her. You’re extremely possessive and protective about her.
2. She complained to your parents about your mischief back when you were kids but also lied to them about your whereabouts when you really wanted to be out with friends that one time.
3. You’ve lost count of the thousand pranks you’ve played on each other as kids just to get the other one scolded by your parents.
4. Every time a relative visited, you fought like cats and dogs for the money they left saying “bachcho ko toffee khila dena”. And no matter how old you may be, you still fight over sweets and chocolates, just for the fun of it.
5. She was your first best friend. Remember how you bullied her into bowling every time every time you played cricket in the lawn while you batted for hours at a stretch. And we bet you still have photographs from the day she cross-dressed you in her frilly frocks and covered your face in a girl’s make-up. Yeah, you were not the only one. That happened with every younger brother.
6. You tried to dig out each others secrets just so you could blackmail each other for favours. And every time, either of you broke the deal and had the last laugh!
7. You two together were a nightmare for your mother. You brought the house down every time you fought. Every time she came back home from the market, she found the house in tatters and ruins, food spilled on the walls, pillow covers torn and two kids clawing at each other and howling in one corner.
8. The television, oh the television – the reason why you were sworn enemies all yourchildhood. Snatching the remote from each other fighting whether ‘WWE’ would play or ‘Small Wonder’, you both ended up getting beaten up by your parents. Not just the television, you even fought over walkmans, computers and video games.
9. If you ever shared your room with your sister, the memories of fighting over which colours the wall should be painted must be fresh in your mind. That’s where all the ‘blue vs pink’ war started from.
10. Remember how you tried teaching her how to ride bicycle for the first time, even though you were just an inch taller than her and ultimately ended up making her fall head on?
11. You also remember what it felt like when you saw her for the first time and held her in your arms. And if you’re the younger one, we bet she still remembers how you perhaps wet her dress when she held you for the first time!
12. There were times when punching each other wasn’t enough. So, you hid each other’s most important belongings.
13. And sometimes your pranks went out of hand. She ended up in tears and you felt like the worst person ever to have made your sister cry.
14. But you hated her from the core of your heart when she faked tears in front of your parents only to get you beaten up for the one mean thing you may have said to her an hour ago.
15. Your heart sank every time you hurt her. But because you were still too egoistic to apologise, you compensated by simple gestures like arranging her books on the table when she was in the other room. You still think she never realised? Where do you think that chocolate you ‘found’ in the fridge that day came from?
16. But she also revealed your most embarrassing secrets every time your friends came over.
17. Once you grew up, every time you stepped out of your house with your sister, the ‘protective brother’ mode switched on itself, making you constantly be on the lookout with hawk eyes for any possible threat to her from the men around. In return, she taught you to be more respectful to the women in your life.
18. Every time your dad got you two chocolates, you’d devour yours in a minute while she saved hers for the last, teasing you with every bite she took.
19. Power cuts meant that you could spend the whole night doing absolutely nothing. Man, she was always up for playing dark room and telling ghost stories!
20. When matters really got out of hand, you made anything and everything into a weapon – from brooms to bats to TV remotes, rubber bands, scales, slippers, and water bottles to what not!
21. The elder one always made up stories of how the younger was actually adopted or brought home from the nearest ‘mandir’. No matter how old you get, this incident will always make you crack up.
22. If you are the younger one, you know how it felt when she always played the ‘elder’ card every time. She just wouldn’t let you hang out with her friends because you were ‘too young’.
23. Worse were those moments when you were given her hand-me-down books and school belts and school ties and used registers and even the school blazers!
24. And if you were the elder one, you know how annoying it was when you were expected to tag her along with you to every birthday party you went to. You were not just her brother, but her guardian as well.
25. You also remember how you pretended to run away each time you took your little sister out just to see how much she’d be terrified. But of course, you always came back, with lots of chocolates! There’s no way you’re going to leave her side, ever.
26. When you grew up a little more, she was the much needed mirror in your life. No matter how popular you were in school, she showed you who you really were. Your strengths, your weaknesses, your talents – she knows them even better than you.
27. Your elder sister always knew you better than you knew yourself. She was the guiding light in all your life decisions, because she never judged; she just stood by you always.
28. Even at present, she is your confidante. She is the person you go to when you want to share your deepest secrets because you know she will give you the best advice.
29. Whether it is marrying your girlfriend or telling your parents you don’t want to be an engineer or a doctor, your sister is the person who is ultimately going to crack the deal for you.
30. You may have spent all your life fighting with her but you cried like a baby the day she got married.
We know you’re not adept at expressing your love to her, but she is still the one person you will love the most all your life. So, share this with her and have her know how much she means to you. Of course, in return you can ask her for the biggest favour ever!