Kangana Ranaut has earned name and fame for two things in Bollywood. Firstly, it’s her immense talent which enables her to deliver flawless characters, secondly it’s her sharp and blunt nature, her ability to never mince a single word when it comes to give her opinions. On her 29th birthday, we compiled 10 of her strongest statements which set her apart for her sheer honesty and remarkable rawness. These prove why she is the real bad ass celebrity of Bollywood:
1. On growing up in a conservative family, she explained, “Girls are never encouraged to be something or do something. My father had unrealistic expectations from my brother while I just stood in the corner.” She explained that even after struggling, when she was unable to get a break, her family kept calling her to give up and return, but she was adamant. “My father called and said “did you learn your lesson? I said, no. Better get ready to learn yours.”
2. On a chat show, when she was asked what was the meaning of ‘good friends’ in the industry, she was quick to respond that “just good friends means a f**k buddy, who’s been promoted.”
3. On rejecting a fairness cream brand, she said “Ever since I was a kid, I have never understood the concept of fairness. Especially, in such a case, as a celebrity, what kind of an example would I be setting for younger people? I have no regrets about turning this offer down. As a public figure, I have responsibilities. My sister is dusky, yet beautiful. If I go ahead and be a part of this campaign, then, in a way, I would be insulting her. If I can’t do that to my sister, then how can I do that to the entire nation?”
4. On why she did duds like ‘Rascals’ and ‘Dhamaal’, she said “we have to earn our bread and butter and sometimes we have limited options. As somebody who is self dependent and doesn’t really have any other job, I have to keep working, and doing something or the other.”
5. On facing constant rejection during her initial years, she made an honest statement saying “When I started out, I was treated like a dog. People in the industry treated me like I didn’t deserve to be spoken to and I was some unwanted object. I couldn’t speak English and people made fun of me.”
6. After she garnered critical acclaim for her role in the movie ‘Queen’, Kangana revealed the murky details of her past experiences with directors and film makers. “Being an actress when I started contributing to my films, writing dialogues and screenplays, I thought I would be useful. I was shocked to see that it was seen something that was not accepted and my contribution was seen as interfering. I was called a bad a** interfering bitch.”
7. On being touted as the highest paid actress, she claimed “I think the kind of films and roles I do takes a whole year, so it’s justified.” This remark made a lot of contemporary actresses really uncomfortable!
8. On her views about marriage, she made some very straightforward remarks, “I think the focus has to shift at some point from marriage to the real challenges of life, which are the same for girls and guys. We have to prepare our girls like superheroes, like we prepare our men, and not have a ready set up to be given to another man like a fully trained dog to take care of their house.”
9. On being asked whom she considered her competition in Bollywood, she quoted, “I don’t consider anyone my competition. Name one actress who could have played Datto or done Queen.”
10. On being asked about her being ousted from ‘Aashiqui 3’, she remarked, “ Yes, many lame rumours are doing rounds, even a dumb ass can tell where these rumours are coming from. I don’t know why exes do silly things to get your attention. For me that chapter is over and I don’t dig graves.” We all know how that ended, the legal battle between Kangana and Hrithik is only getting uglier, but there is nothing that can stop the ‘Queen’.