When it comes to acceptance, we Indians are a bunch of hypocrites. The people who call her names, blame her for ruining the Indian culture, disrespect her for her choice of profession are the ones who Google ‘Sunny Leone hot’ as the clock strikes ten in the night. We’re a nation obsessed with Sunny Leone and, yet, cannot accept it. She’s setting an example for the women of this country, in more ways than one. Snigger at that statement all you want, the truth remains that she’s independent, strong, successful and self-made. If you were to look at Sunny Leone and her journey, keeping aside all the prejudices against her choice of career for a moment, you’d realize what an incredible woman she is. If only we could be rational enough to not judge and disrespect someone on the basis of their profession. Here are 10 reasons why we think she deserves as much respect as any other famous personality in India.
1 .Sunny Leone has always made her own life decisions. She was financially independent at a very young age. She wanted to get into pornography, and she did. No apologies whatsoever. She’s always taken hold of her life and steered it wherever she’s wanted to and no matter how much we Indians love to hate her audacity, she still doesn’t regret it. She was proud of herself then, she’s proud of herself now.
2. She has excelled at what she’s done. She’s one of the most famous professionals in her industry. Why do we idolize Shah Rukh Khan, worship Sachin Tendulkar and look up to A.R. Rahman? Because they’re the best at what they do. Why do we then disrespect and disregard Sunny Leone despite her phenomenal success? How many of us have been successful in our respective jobs and professions? The success, achievements, fame and popularity and the awards she has received are awe-inspiring. Adult film entertainment and pornography are also careers and should be respected just as much as any other profession, especially in a nation obsessed with watching porn. Why is it so hard for us to accept the fact that pornography is also a profession, just like engineering, writing or bank accountancy? Your judgment of her profession says nothing about her, but speaks volumes about your hypocritical mindset.
3. From pornography, Sunny Leone has traversed to mainstream Bollywood cinema now. With that bold step, she has opened new doors for adult film stars to enter into Bollywood. And, that is definitely a first. Hopefully, adult film stars will now feel as accepted in the society as you and me. And those of you who think Bollywood isn’t the place for porn stars and their entry would pollute your kids’ minds – you have criminals making 100-crore films in Bollywood, for God’s sake. Maybe a few years down the line, India will be able to disassociate one’s dignity from one’s profession. Maybe.
4. Apart from a former adult film star, Sunny Leone is also a super successful business woman. She owns Sun Lust Pictures, an adult film studio with partner Daniel Weber, also her husband. She plans to expand her business by opening her own brand of lingerie and diamonds in the future. Her entrepreneurial success is inspiring and definitely deserves respect and admiration.
5. Sunny Leone is sensible, sensitive and far more responsible than most of the Bollywood celebrities we love to idolize. Her work ethics are praise-worthy. Sunny Leone called off the shoot for the sleazy item song ‘Pink Lips’ (Hate Story 2) because there were kids on the sets and she felt the scenes being shot were inappropriate for them. Unsurprisingly, the news never made headlines; for the tabloid just likes to portray her only as a mindless sex object.
6. Sunny Leone has always been a confident, strong woman. She discovered her bisexuality at the age of 18 and instead of being embarrassed about it and hiding in the closet, she embraced it. And that is one thing we Indians really need to learn from her.
7. She’s happy and secure in the place she is. She’s not attention hungry. Given the way the audience perceives her in India, it must have been difficult for her to set her foot in Bollywood and she is probably going to struggle even more in the coming times if she wishes to play more serious roles. But not once has she tried to grab eyeballs or seek anybody’s attention. Even when she appeared in the reality show Bigg Boss, she never hogged the limelight unnecessarily. She was low profile and still absolutely adorable.
8. Sunny Leone has campaigned for some serious issues like the violence against animals for PETA and health problems for American Cancer Society. She also donated charity in the Ice Bucket Challenge. She’s socially responsible too, despite being a former porn star. Unbelievable, right? We thought so!
9. Contrary to what most people would think (again, because she’s a former porn star), Sunny Leone believes in commitment. You may think because she’s had sex right in front of the camera with different people each time, she cannot be trusted with a relationship. Isn’t that what most of us think? But we’re mistaken. She’s married to her long time boyfriend and business partner Daniel Weber, a man who is fully supportive of Sunny Leone’s life choices and they’re living a steady married life. Not that it takes a woman to be a ‘one man woman’ to earn respect, but she’s definitely breaking a very, very strong stereotype about adult film stars here.
10. Lastly, Sunny Leone has no regrets of her life choices and she doesn’t bother herself with what people think of her – the mark of a strong and successful person. Kudos to her for dealing with a unaccepting, prejudiced and disapproving audience as us with so much composure and still making her way into our hearts, slowly but steadily. Watch her take down her haters in the most awesome way ever in this video.